Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Child With No Origin


I'd like you to meet Emmanuel because for some reason he stood out to me from day 1 and he's been on my mind ever since. I want to share his story with you. He's around the age of 5, no one is quite sure his exact age. He is the child that Pastor Dickens says,

"Has no origin."

 The beginning of what we know about his story is that a village girl found him abandoned. She took him to her father but the father didn't want him and sent him away. But after a little while, the father had a change of heart and told his daughter to care for him. Only four months later the girl died. Her grandmother took Emmanuel to the brother of the caretaker girl and from there they applied to Otino Waa.

The people caring for him didn't have enough money to pay the 20,000 shillings (about $7) fee needed to enter Otino Waa. When some of the staff heard this and saw Emmanuel, they gave what they could to bring him in. He couldn't speak much when he came, but now is talkative in Luo and is learning English.

For some reason little Emmanuel has stuck with me. I believe that God has some great plan for his life because he was rescued from such a desperate state. And I'm really so grateful that there is a place like Otino Waa where I know for certain he is being cared for, loved, has friends and is going to a school that will give him the best chance possible.

I miss my little buddy and hope I get to see him soon.

~Amanda


1 comment: